Medical Research Support Program (MRSP)
This program aims to support state-wide capacity to deliver world class health and medical research through the provision of funding for research infrastructure. It provides infrastructure support to independent Medical Research Institutes in NSW.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Support research and the delivery of quality outputs excellence in health and medical.
- Promote critical mass in health and medical research as part of the effective use of resources.
- Monitor and help ensure the financial sustainability of participating institutes.
Institutes will receive between 30c and 45c/$ support, determined by tier allocation and subject to available funds within a capped pool of funding. Where institutes with a previous three year average annual ACGR grant income greater than:
- $15 million: Tier 1
- $10 million: Tier 2
- $3 million: Tier 3
The program has an initial funding pool of $148 million for four years from 2012-13 to 2015-16 (approximately $37 million per year).
As announced in the 2015-16 NSW Budget, the government committed an additional $20 million over four years for this program.
Who Can Apply
Eligible applicants must be:
- A medical research institute located in NSW.
- Conducting health and medical research as its primary business.
- An independent and discrete operational entity, able to demonstrate sufficient independence to determine its own research directions and use of funds.
- A member of at least one of NSW’s nine health and medical research hubs.
- Conducting high quality research at a sufficient scale, with an average annual research income from eligible grants of at least $3 million. This average is based on income for the previous three years.
- Able to demonstrate that they have sufficient existing capacity to support future growth (evidence includes: audited accounts to demonstrate financial viability, with a liquidity ratio of 1.0 or more, and a low level of debt).
Please review the Guidelines for the complete information of eligibility requirements and ineligible applicants.
Eligible activities include those that are for infrastructure purposes only, and must be within NSW. Funding under the current round of the MRSP will run from July 2016 to June 2020.
Main Assessment Criteria
The main assessment criteria include whether the applicants meet all the six eligibility criteria in their application:
- Located in NSW.
- Health and medical research is the primary purpose of the organisation.
- Organisational independence.
- Membership of a NSW health and medical research hub.
- Conducting high quality research at a sufficient scale.
- Financial viability.
Please review the Guidelines for the complete information of the assessment criteria.
|Standard Application Form||March 2017||Download
|Letter of Declaration||March 2017||Download
|Australian Competitive Grants Register (ACGR)||March 2017||Download
|Grant Income Template for Completion||March 2017||Download
|Use these documents as a guide only - always get the latest direct from the Administrator
11 November 2015
11 December 2015
17 February 2016
This program is available every four years. The next funding round is yet to be announced.
|Total Funding Pool
Healthcare, Medical, Biotechnology and Nanotechnology
Infrastructure / Equipment
NSW Ministry of Health
Office for Health and Medical Research (OHMR)