Regional Jobs and Infrastructure Fund (Overview)
This program aims to support major projects, creating jobs and building stronger regional communities. It is the Victorian government’s overarching regional development package that will invest in growing jobs, building infrastructure and strengthening communities in regional Victoria.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Create jobs of the future and diversify the regional employment base.
- Improve productivity and enhance long-term competitiveness of regional Victoria through innovation and a transition to new growth opportunities.
- Create the conditions for business growth by enhancing work force skills, providing enabling economic infrastructure and facilitating expansion into new markets.
- Improve the liveability of the cities, centres and towns to attract and retain families and young people to live and work.
- Enhance community capacity through collaboration, leadership development and regional planning.
The fund will have a total funding pool of $500 million allocated into three parts:
1. Regional Infrastructure Fund (RIF)
- Invest in major infrastructure projects that create or enhance the conditions for economic growth and build resilient, diversified and environmentally sustainable regional economies.
- Include dedicated streams to support the ten regional cities and 38 rural council areas.
- Total funding pool available is $250 million.
2. Regional Jobs Fund (RJF)
- Help companies grow their workforce, innovate, expand their markets and create the jobs of the future.
- Attract investment, with a focus on regional competitive advantage or high growth potential businesses and assist to diversify the regional employment base.
- Includes the $20 million Food Source Victoria initiative which has its own targeted grants program aimed at growing agrifood exports.
- Total funding pool available is $200 million.
3. Stronger Regional Communities Plan (SRCP)
- Aims to improve the liveability of Victoria’s rural and regional towns to help retain and attract population and build community capacity.
- As part of the plan, $25 million will be allocated to A New Future in Regional Victoria fund, focused on creating more training opportunities closer to home.
- Total funding pool available is $50 million.
RJIF programs generally do not have grant caps or matching funding requirements except for the RIF Rural Development program stream and the two program streams under the SRCP. The program seeks to maximise sustained economic benefits from any public contribution and leverage other funding sources. Applications with higher levels of co-contribution will be favoured.
Who Can Apply
Eligible applicants include:
- Rural and regional businesses
- Industry groups
- Government agencies
- Not-for-profits and community groups
The Victorian government will invest in six high potential, high value sectors including:
- Food and fibre
- Professional services
- New energy technology
- Medical technology, life sciences and healthcare
- Transport, defence and construction technology
- International education
Please review the individual subprograms for the specific eligibility requirements.
Eligible activities include:
- Providing better infrastructure, facilities and services in rural and regional Victoria.
- Strengthening the economic, social and environmental base of communities in rural and regional Victoria.
- Creating jobs and improving career opportunities in rural and regional Victoria.
- Supporting the development and planning of local projects in rural and regional Victoria.
Please refer to the individual subprograms for the list of specific eligible activities.
Main Assessment Criteria
Please refer to the individual subprograms for the specific assessment criteria.
|Web Overview||April 2016||Download
|Media Release||April 2016||Download
|Use these documents as a guide only - always get the latest direct from the Administrator
17 June 2015
This program is open on an ongoing basis.
|Total Funding Pool
Building, Construction and Engineering
Energy and Renewables
Finance and Business Services
Food and Beverage
Healthcare, Medical, Biotechnology and Nanotechnology
Infrastructure / Equipment
Innovation and R&D
Start-up / Establishment
Training / Employment
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR)
Regional Development Victoria (RDV)